This article is a great read for anyone interested in the subject. It's several pages long and covers the following topics:
- Famous echolocators
- A video from 1941 depicting experiments in "Facial Vision" (another term for echolocation) (http://vlp.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/library/data/lit39549? )
- How would echolocation feel?
- Underestimating echolocation
- Echolocating in a big magnetic tube
- Listening to echoes
- Why does echolocation use the ‘visual’ cortex?
- Echolocation isn’t just in your head
- So why can’t the rest of us echolocate?
- Unmasking our other senses by blindfolding
- The next step: super-human echolocation
This is an absolutely amazing article and it uncovers a lot of research that is not well known. Below is a short snippet from the article.